Oct 042004

7:30 a.m.: Get the sproggen up, dressed, fed. Start cleanup of disaster area the kitchen became over the weekend.

8:30 a.m.: Drive sprog #2 to school, then take sprog #1 to annual checkup at eye doctor.

9:30 a.m.: Clean up toys sprog #1 left scattered around the waiting room before being called in. Sit down and work on Swedish weaving project from last month’s EGA meeting. About the most stitching time I’ve had this month. Got three beads attached.

10:30 a.m.: Sprog #1 forgot to bring his lunch. Stop by house on the way to school.

10:45 a.m.: Bring sprog #1 to school, despite subtle attempts on his part to be allowed to skip the rest of the day. Can’t blame a kid for trying. Walk him into the office, sign him in, get him a tardy slip and send him on his way.

11:15 a.m.: Back home. Take load of laundry downstairs, find a load from Friday still in the washing machine. Damn. Add soap and wash again to remove mildew from sitting around damp all weekend. More cleanup of kitchen, looking almost like a place you’d dare to prepare food now. Start dishwasher. Find box for friend’s birthday present.

11:30 a.m.: Mum arrives, we head over to my mate’s office to have lunch with him. He looks a bit peaked; his day must be as hectic as mine.

1:30 p.m.: Back home, mum and I look at sweater patterns for my Christmas sweater. Give mum an old favorite sweater that has hole in it—haven’t worn it in years because of the hole, haven’t thrown it out because I liked it. Mum says it can be fixed. Bonus, two sweaters for Christmas.

2:00 p.m.: Time to pick up sprog #1 from school. Also need to pick up some birthday wrapping paper for friend’s present. Ask sprog if he’d rather stay home; he wants to come and look at toys.

2:45 p.m.: Get wrapping paper, granola bars for sprog #2, some Halloween candy. Stand around commiserating with sprog #1 while he bemoans the high cost of all the really good toys. Get used to it, kid. Deflect efforts of sprog to cadge some cash off Mom. Learn the value of a buck, m’boy. Kid settles for purchasing a bag of candy corn. “Will I have to share them?” “Only if you want to.”

3:15 p.m.: Back home. Put away purchases. Run water in sink, start soaking the remaining dishes that wouldn’t go in dishwasher. Transfer laundry from washer to dryer, start another load.

3:30 p.m.: Time to pick up sprog #2 from school. Sprog gets into van and reports he stayed on green all day. Translation for the child-free: good day at school. Glasses not on face. Questioning reveals that they are in his pocket because a lens popped out. Detour to Wal-Mart to have the lens put back in. Detour en route to our detour as I remember I need to deposit a check at the bank. Sprog is delighted; this is the bank that has lollipops.

4:15 p.m.: No line at the Wal-Mart optometry center. Nice lady clucks as sprog clacks his glasses carelessly down on the counter, takes them in back and quickly replaces lens. Thank nice lady and head for home.

4:30 p.m.: Back home. Prod sprog #1 to get started on his homework, help sprog #2 assemble a snack, make snack for Mom too. Remove clothes from dryer and transfer second load. Wash up dishes in sink, start making iced tea so my poor hard-working mate will have some for drinking when he gets home.

5:00 p.m.: Prod sprog #1 more assertively; he starts on his homework. Wrap present. Continue with tea-making. Check on sprog’s homework. Sproggen both done with homework and snack, begin (from the sound) rehearsal for pachyderm trampoline act. Attempt to redirect them before structural integrity of the house is compromised.

5:15 p.m.: Phone call from school. Automated voice informs me sprog #1 was marked as absent. Make note to phone tomorrow and ask why this is, after we signed him in as per the school’s stated procedure.

Isn’t the day over yet?

 Posted by at 6:47 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.