Getting the reports ready for the committee, I was going through all our bank accounts and reconciling them with the bank statements—and I discovered our restricted fund account was over nine thousand dollars short of what my records thought it should be.
I have to say, the committee reports kind of lost their place in my priority queue. I looked more closely at the bank records, and discovered that a transfer that had been entered in our books in May was never actually performed—someone had forgotten to go online and actually make the transfer. To make matters more confusing, half of the transfer had been manually checked as “cleared,” probably from a mistaken mouse click, so when we’d reconcile our accounts with the bank we were showing us having way more money than we did.
I double-checked everything several times, got all of our bank accounts reconciled properly, and finally was able to do the reports. Except now my reports have a note on them explaining why one account is suddenly almost ten thousand dollars lower than it was last month.
Church Boss asked me if this wasn’t the sort of thing that should have been spotted months ago, and I didn’t know what to say—I’m afraid this will make Cricket look bad, which is the last thing I want to do. Besides, if an experienced pro can make a mistake, a n00b like me is bound to at some point.